KYIV - October 18, 2021. The Ukrainian Bar Association as a leading professional legal community, which aims to implement the rule of law, expresses support for the draft Law of Ukraine "On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine to Improve the Regulation of Notarial Activities" (Reg. No5644, hereinafter - the draft law).
This draft law is the foundation for the reform of the notary service in Ukraine, as it:
- proposes the transition to self-regulation of the notarial profession based on the existing system of professional self-government bodies and the transfer of several powers from the executive to the professional self-regulatory body of notaries;
- provides for the creation of an electronic notary system that will optimize and automate the implementation of notarial acts, as well as protect the notarial document from forgery;
- consolidates the single status of a notary in Ukraine, abandoning the system of division of notaries into public and private, as is done in many European countries;
- improves access to notaries, especially in rural areas and for vulnerable groups;
- expands the functions of notaries and accordingly improves the procedure for providing related public services (providing evidence, establishing facts, the possibility of mediation, the possibility of registration of marriages and divorces).
The Ukrainian Bar Association appealed to the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine and the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Legal Policy to support the draft Law of Ukraine “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Improving the Regulation of Notarial Activities” (Reg. No 5644).